Insurance requirements for studying at University of Applied Sciences Technikum Wien

Study at origin.title.value insurance

Insurance information for University of Applied Sciences Technikum Wien

Insurance is important while studying at University of Applied Sciences Technikum Wien because it can protect students from financial loss due to unforeseen circumstances such as accidents, illness, or theft. It can also provide coverage for tuition and other school-related expenses in case of emergency or withdrawal from classes. Having insurance can also provide peace of mind and allows you to focus on your studies.

About University of Applied Sciences Technikum Wien

With around 9,000 graduates thus far and roughly 4,000 students, the University of Applied Sciences Technikum Wien is Austria’s largest purely technical university of applied sciences.

 Find interesting master studies for University of Applied Sciences Technikum Wien at Mastersportal

Insurance information for Austria

If you are going to study and live in Austria, you want to be fully prepared before starting your adventure. Among other things, you want to make sure your insurance covers everything you need, without paying too much.

Students from EU/EEA countries , who are in possession of valid health insurance in their home country, may use the European Health Insurance Card (see more about EHIC in the FAQ). This is a free card that gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 27 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in some countries) as people insured in that country. Please note that EHIC is according to EU recommendations not an alternative for Travel Insurance. EHIC does not guarantee free services. As each country’s healthcare system is different services that cost nothing at home might not be free in another country

Students from outside the EU/EEA will have to take out a health insurance corresponding to the standard of the Austrian local public carriers or arrange private insurance

Option A: National health insurance for International Students

Degree programme students (“ordentliche Studierende”) at all universities and universities of applied sciences (“Fachhochschulen”) as well as non-degree programme students (“außerordentliche Studierende”) at University Preparation Programmes (“Vorstudienlehrgänge”) may take out a student insurance ("Studierendenselbstversicherung") with the relevant Gesundheitskasse.

The main requirements are residence in Austria and a confirmation of admission or continuation of your studies from the relevant higher education institution. Certain conditions (e.g. duration of studies, income limits, possibly also study breaks and changes of fields of studies), however, have to be taken into consideration. By December 31st of each year you have to submit a valid confirmation of the continuation of your studies (“Fortsetzungsbestätigung”) to the Gesundheitskasse. This has to provide proof for the entire academic year that you are entitled to continue your studies as a degree programme student (“ordentliche/r Studierende/r”) at the Austrian university (or as a nondegree programme student in a University Preparation Programme).

Option B: Private health insurance for International Students

The National Health insurance is not mandatory, you have the alternative of taking out a private health insurance. This applies for both EU and non-EU students.

For students from outside the EU/EEA visa approval an explicit written statement (a “To Whom it might concern” letter”)– in addition to the insurance policy – ,could be required, confirming what the insurance covers i.e. that the insurance does not have any waiting periods, deductibles or cost caps, the period of cover etc. It will also explain that a direct guarantee of payment can be obtained, so the medical provider will get the payment directly from us and not from the student.

Is this enough?

It is important to understand that the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) is not always enough, Please note that EHIC is according to EU recommendations not an alternative for Travel Insurance, and that the local health insurance will probably not cover:

  • Additional medical costs, i.e. dental
  • Repatriation
  • Liability
  • Home contents and baggage
  • Accidents
  • Legal aid

You will need an insurance policy also covering, but also arranging for you, for example:

    • You returning home if a close relative is seriously ill or dies;
    • Up to two close relatives visiting you in if you fall seriously ill;
    • Your medical repatriation to your home country for hospitalization or rehabilitation treatment;
    • or in the worst possible situation, returning a body home for burial.

    Via our partner Aon, you can easily discover details that apply to your specific situation. To get advice and help you to will help you to identify the possible gaps in cover and insight in the costs of insurance, you can freely request an instant quote.

    About Austria

    In Austria, you can find some of the most affordable education institutions in Europe. At public universities, degrees are free for all EU/EEA citizens, while non-EU/EEA students pay affordable fees, usually under 2,000 EUR per year. The Austrian education system achieves this without sacrificing academic quality, as local universities are regularly ranked among the best on the continent.

    Austria is also one of the safest nations in the world, where you will enjoy a high quality of life and top-notch infrastructure and services. For art lovers, there are many museums and galleries to explore, and we shouldn’t forget Austria’s gifts to music, which include Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Franz Schubert, and others. Sports enthusiasts can enjoy activities like alpine skiing, mountain biking, hockey, swimming, etc.