Insurance requirements for studying at Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies
Insurance information for Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies
Insurance is important while studying at Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies because it can protect students from financial loss due to unforeseen circumstances such as accidents, illness, or theft. It can also provide coverage for tuition and other school-related expenses in case of emergency or withdrawal from classes. Having insurance can also provide peace of mind and allows you to focus on your studies.
About Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies
Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies is one of the leading universities of science and technologies in the Baltic Sea region, specializing in the sustainable use of natural resources aimed at the enhancement of quality of life for society.
Find interesting master studies for Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies at Mastersportal
Insurance information for Latvia
If you are going to study and live in Latvia, you want to be fully prepared before starting your adventure. Among other things, you want to make sure your insurance covers everything you need, without paying too much.
International students who enter the territory of Latvia with the purpose to study, must have a valid health insurance policy, which guarantees that the costs of healthcare services in the Republic of Latvia are covered. The health insurance policy shall be presented in order to receive a temporary residence permit or visa.>
Students from EU/EEA countries, who are in possession of valid health insurance in their home country, may use the European Health Insurance Card (see FAQ EHIC). This is a free card that gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 27 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in some countries) as people insured in that country. Please note that EHIC is according to EU recommendations not an alternative for Travel Insurance .EHIC does not guarantee free services. As each country’s healthcare system is different services that cost nothing at home might not be free in another country.
Students from outside the EU/EEA All non-EU students must be covered by private (health) insurance for the entire planned period of stay in Latvia.
There are some minimum requirements.
- • emergency medical assistance;
- • inpatient treatment of critical condition dangerous to life or health;
- • transportation to the nearest medical treatment institution in which the services referred to in Sub-paragraphs
- • transportation for conveyance back to the country of residence in case of serious illness or death.
- • The minimum limit of the insurer liability indicated in a policy during the insurance period may not be less than:
- • EUR 30,000 cover when requesting a short-stay visa;
- • EUR 42,600 cover when requesting a long-stay visa, a long-stay visa which is concurrently valid as a short-stay visa, or a residence permit.
Is this enough?
It is important to understand that the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) is not always enough, Please note that EHIC is according to EU recommendations not an alternative for Travel Insurance, and that the local offered health insurance will probably not cover:
- (Additional) medical costs
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
- Worldwide cover
You will need an insurance policy also covering, but also arranging for you, for example:
- You returning home if a close relative is seriously ill or dies;
- Up to two close relatives visiting you in if you fall seriously ill;
- Your medical repatriation to your home country for hospitalization or rehabilitation treatment;
- or in the worst possible situation, returning a body home for burial.
- Tuition Fee Insurance for international students what is it and why its useful
Via our partner Aon, you can easily discover details that apply to your specific situation. To get advice and insight in the costs of insurance, you can freely request an instant quote.
About LatviaTuition fees at public universities in Latvia are affordable, making it an attractive option for students. The country's academic education is of high quality, contributing to its reputation as a hub for research and innovation. Latvia has made significant advancements in various sectors such as smart materials, biomedicine, and disease treatments. Nature enthusiasts will find Latvia to be an ideal study destination, with over half of its territory covered in forests and more than 500 km of coastline offering pristine beaches to explore.
Get custom advice for your situation from our partner, Aon. Click the button below and enter the wizard Aon created. It provides information on prices based on your country of origin, destination, and current insurance status. All this without any obligations on your part!