Insurance requirements for studying in Austria

Insurance information for Austria

If you are going to study and live in Austria, you want to be fully prepared before starting your adventure. Among other things, you want to make sure your insurance covers everything you need, without paying too much.

Students from EU/EEA countries

Students from EU/EEA countries, who are in possession of valid health insurance in their home country, may use the European Health Insurance Card (see more about EHIC in the FAQ). This is a free card that gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 27 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in some countries) as people insured in that country. Please note that EHIC is according to EU recommendations not an alternative for Travel Insurance. EHIC does not guarantee free services. As each country’s healthcare system is different services that cost nothing at home might not be free in another country

Students from outside EU/EEA countries

Students from outside the EU/EEA will have to take out a health insurance corresponding to the standard of the Austrian local public carriers or arrange private insurance

Option A: National health insurance for International Students

Degree programme students (“ordentliche Studierende”) at all universities and universities of applied sciences (“Fachhochschulen”) as well as non-degree programme students (“außerordentliche Studierende”) at University Preparation Programmes (“Vorstudienlehrgänge”) may take out a student insurance ("Studierendenselbstversicherung") with the relevant Gesundheitskasse.

The main requirements are residence in Austria and a confirmation of admission or continuation of your studies from the relevant higher education institution. Certain conditions (e.g. duration of studies, income limits, possibly also study breaks and changes of fields of studies), however, have to be taken into consideration. By December 31st of each year you have to submit a valid confirmation of the continuation of your studies (“Fortsetzungsbestätigung”) to the Gesundheitskasse. This has to provide proof for the entire academic year that you are entitled to continue your studies as a degree programme student (“ordentliche/r Studierende/r”) at the Austrian university (or as a nondegree programme student in a University Preparation Programme).

Option B: Private health insurance for International Students

The National Health insurance is not mandatory, you have the alternative of taking out a private health insurance. This applies for both EU and non-EU students.

For students from outside the EU/EEA visa approval an explicit written statement (a “To Whom it might concern” letter”)– in addition to the insurance policy – ,could be required, confirming what the insurance covers i.e. that the insurance does not have any waiting periods, deductibles or cost caps, the period of cover etc. It will also explain that a direct guarantee of payment can be obtained, so the medical provider will get the payment directly from us and not from the student.

Insurance, that's difficult, right?

No worries, we've got you covered. Together with our partner Aon, we are going to make sure you get the perfect insurance package. Your study abroad adventure will be awesome, but insured for all risks, including health care.

Show my options

Is this enough?

It is important to understand that the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) is not always enough, Please note that EHIC is according to EU recommendations not an alternative for Travel Insurance, and that the local health insurance will probably not cover:

  • Additional medical costs, i.e. dental
  • Repatriation
  • Liability
  • Home contents and baggage
  • Accidents
  • Legal aid

You will need an insurance policy also covering, but also arranging for you, for example:

Free quote from Aon

Via our partner Aon, you can easily discover details that apply to your specific situation. To get advice and insight in the costs of insurance, you can freely request an instant quote.

About Austria

Austria offers affordable education options with free degrees for EU/EEA citizens at public universities. Non-EU/EEA students also benefit from reasonable fees, usually below 2,000 EUR per year. Despite this affordability, Austrian universities maintain high academic standards and are consistently ranked among the best in Europe. In addition to its excellent education system, Austria is known for being one of the safest countries globally, providing a high quality of life and top-notch infrastructure and services. Art lovers can indulge in numerous museums and galleries, while Austria's rich musical heritage includes renowned composers like Mozart and Schubert. Sports enthusiasts can partake in various activities such as alpine skiing, mountain biking, hockey, and swimming.


Frequently asked questions

Please note that EHIC is according to EU recommendations not an alternative for Travel Insurance 
(European Health Insurance Card - Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion - European Commission (

An EHIC gives the student the right to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in another EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland.

When you are in possession of a valid EHIC during your study period in Austria, it only provides coverage for emergency medical expenses. Please note that this does not include any costs for medical evacuation, physical therapy, acupuncture or emergency dental expenses. You are also not covered for your personal possessions, liability, legal aid, emergency assistance and extra travel expenses. 

The validity of the EHIC depends on your home country and your insurer in your home country. It may not cover the full period of studies. Please verify the validity of your EHIC with your insurer in your home country for your study period abroad in Austria.

However, the coverage of the European Health Insurance Card or private insurance may not be sufficient, especially in case of repatriation and specific medical intervention. In that case, a complementary private insurance might be useful.

Taking out an additional insurance during your study abroad in Austria is specially needed for the risks that are not covered for with your EHIC. This to be certain that you are properly insured during your study period.As each country’s healthcare system is different services that cost nothing at home might not be free in another country like Austria.